Health Benefits of Maize – Corn or Maize is a popular cereal in the world, although often considered a vegetable, it is a grain rich in fibre, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Interestingly it is grown on all continents except Antarctica. There are about fifty (50) species of Maize and they come in different colours, textures, and grain shapes and sizes. However, White, yellow, and red are the most common cultivated Maize types.
These are some popular health benefits associated with the consumption of maize.
- Corn has a high source of fibre which keeps the digestive system healthy. Fibre can also improve cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- Corn is rich in vitamins, essential minerals, and antioxidants.
- Corn is rich in folic acid: Folic acid helps the body produce and maintain new cells.
- Corn provides a high amount of carbohydrates which is the body’s main source of energy: Carbohydrate helps to fuel the brain, kidneys, heart muscles, and central nervous system.
- Corn has a good level of protein which assists in energy metabolism and also defends the body against disease
- Corn is Gluten – free: Gluten-free diets usually help reduce chronic inflammation, boost energy and promote weight loss.
- Corn is healthy for the skin Antioxidants to help prevent and undo damage to collagen in the skin.
- Corn is rich in Manganese which plays a role in bone formation, blood clotting, and reducing inflammation.
However, it is always advisable to consult a medical practitioner or nutritionist for advice regarding diet or nutritional needs. What other health benefits of Maize do you know? Drop your comments in the comments section below.
Corn Nutrients Table source: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/170288/nutrients