BG Product Management Fellowship
BABBAN GONA FELLOWS PROGRAM – OVERVIEW
ABOUT BABBAN GONA (BG)
Babban Gona (“Great Farm”) is a rapidly scaling social enterprise, with a mission to serve the bottom of the pyramid and transform agriculture into a job creation engine for unemployed youth. We do this by offering a suite of services to rural, smallholder farmers, helping them to overcome the challenges of fragmentation and low economies of scale. Our services include providing financial credit, low-cost high-quality inputs, ongoing training on best agronomy practices, and providing storage and marketing services to maximize farmers’ profits. In 8 years, BG has helped over 65,000 smallholder farmers increase their productivity by 2x the national average and profitability by 2.5x to 3x the national average. Our goal is to serve 1,000,000 smallholder farmers in 2025.
ABOUT BABBAN GONA FELLOWS PROGRAM
At Babban Gona, we believe that agriculture is Africa’s No. 1 job creation engine and holds great potential in the creation of millions of jobs for unemployed youth. We aim to use agriculture to not only address unemployment but also mitigate violent insurgencies that are fueled by a lack of meaningful opportunities for youth.
The Babban Gona Fellows Program is a 12 – 24-month experience that provides dedicated, passionate individuals an opportunity to contribute in meaningful ways to our mission of strengthening smallholder farmers. BG Fellowships are full-time, volunteer positions based in Lagos, Nigeria. Fellows are provided with reimbursement for 1 round-trip economy class international flight and a monthly stipend for the duration of the fellowship to offset living expenses. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
● Minimum of two (2) years’ full-time work experience in their field
● Fluency in written and spoken English
● Adaptability and openness to feedback
● Empathy and motivation to understand others’ perspectives and views
● Available for 12 – 24-month volunteer commitment, based in Lagos, Nigeria
Candidates should apply to one of the core teams they feel best fits their experience and background. Please read through the detailed position descriptions for each team to learn more about the skills and experience required.
Fellows will be placed in core functional teams, including ● Business Operations ● Data Analytics ● Finance ● Learning and Development ● Product Management ● Software Development
Each Fellow will be matched with a senior team member in their department, who will serve as a mentor to facilitate knowledge exchange and effective collaboration. Each Fellow will contribute their knowledge and technical skills to strengthen Babban Gona’s local operations and capacities while gaining significant exposure to a unique, social impact environment. Fellows will have the opportunity to own, drive and execute innovative and scalable projects that contribute significantly to our goal of reaching 1 million smallholder farmers in 2025.
ABOUT THE FELLOWSHIP EXPERIENCE
The Babban Gona Fellowship is a service program. The Fellowship provides the opportunity for dedicated, talented Fellows to give their time in helping thousands of smallholder farmers provide income for their families to send their children to school and provide meaningful work opportunities for rural youth.
Our Fellows come from a range of backgrounds and experiences; many have previous international work and travel experience. They are all dedicated professionals who are passionate about the Babban Gona mission. Our Fellows go on to graduate school programs or continue their careers in International Development, Public Policy, and Education.
The Fellowship provides the following opportunities:
● A tailored, 12-month work plan to maximize each Fellow’s impact
● Own, drive and execute on innovative and scalable projects that contribute significantly to BG targets
● Symbiotic learning and collaboration with other changemakers at BG
● Contribute and grow as part of the BG Fellows cohort
● On-the-ground experience with micro-finance and social enterprise sectors in Nigeria, an emerging market ● Opportunities to engage directly with smallholder farmers
● Professional growth through workshops, speaker series, site visits, and leadership development opportunities with industry thought-leaders in the West-African region
Babban Gona is always looking for talented individuals to join our team. For any questions or to apply to the BG Fellowship, please send your cv and a brief 1-page cover letter expressing your interest in one of the core functional teams and how your background has prepared you to make significant contributions as a BG Fellow to [email protected]
To learn more about our work and impact:
● Visit our website: www.babbangona.com
● Watch our video on TED: How farming could employ Africa’s young workforce — and help build peace
● Learn more through our Skoll Award: Skoll Awards For Social Entrepreneurship.
● Read about us on Forbes: 2019’s Top 5 Most Innovative And Impactful Social Enterprises
● Read about us in the Financial Times: Nigeria’s ‘great farm’ model bears fruit in a time of high insecurity
● Read about us in The Wall Street Journal: Making Farming More Profitable—and Thwarting Boko Haram